Sunday 20 December 2009

A problem of choice

There is a well known statement on selecting something among alternatives

The more alike two items are the more complex it is to choose one of them .... although the actual cost of been wrong is minimal in this case.

Initially I like this statement since it seemed to be exactly correct... but after some thinking I disliked it too since I felt it is incorrect as well.

Now, I believe I should reformulate it into

The more alike two items seems to be the more complex it is to choose one of them. [full stop]

Comment: I thing the catch in the original statement: you actually feel that items are not similar, otherwise you would simply select one of those... but you just have not enough information to distinguish those items by pros and contras.

No comments: